The workday can be consumed by meetings, deadlines, and overall job requirements. Many people spend a great amount of time working. Whether you work from home or go into an office, staying active can become a struggle. No worries, this article will give tips to be more active while working.
1. Create a Plan – your work schedule and workload may vary every day. At the beginning of your work shift, create a plan to stay active. This can mean standing up for 10 minutes every hour or taking a brisk walk on your lunch break. Whatever keeps you moving create a plan and stick to it.
2. Stretch – stretching is a great way to be more active while working. Each day while working incorporates a new stretch. Try to stretch at least 3 times (for a minimum of 5-minutes) while working. You can stretch your back, and arms, or even incorporate yoga poses while working.
3. Stand up – this one is simple. Stand up while working. Incorporate a standing desk if you have an office job or try to stand more than you sit at work. Standing can help improve your posture and breathing while at work.
4. Wear Comfortable Shoes – believe it or not, wearing comfortable shoes can encourage more movement. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk around the house or the office. Go outside and get some fresh air!
5. Stay Hydrated – being consumed with your work can cause you to not stay hydrated. Remember to drink water while working. Take a quick water break every hour. Drinking water keeps you healthy and the more you move, the more water you will need.
6. Lunch Break Fitness – turn your lunch break into a quick workout. Whether you take a walk around the block or do squats at your desk, incorporate exercise into your workday. To avoid becoming bored, do a different workout during lunch every day.
7. Partner Up – if you work with others, make this a group activity. Encourage each other. Hold each other accountable. Stay active with each other. Even if you work virtually, you can still create a “fit and active” team for encouragement.
8. Count Your Steps – one way to track your movement and activity is by tracking your steps. Use your phone or smartwatch to keep track of your daily movement. Challenge yourself if you accomplished 10,000 steps today, aim for 11,000 tomorrow.
GuidedBy is a community builder and part of the Glacier Media news network. This article originally appeared on a Glacier Media publication.