Supporting Healthcare on the Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast Healthcare Auxiliary is committed to providing volunteer services and raising funds to enhance the quality of healthcare on the Sunshine Coast. In addition to raising funds the auxiliary volunteers also:
- Operate the loan cupboard and the gift store at Sechelt Hospital, and the SCHA Thrift Store.
- Provide care and comfort services to the residents of Totem Lodge, Shorncliffe, and to those on the 2nd Floor South extended care facilities.
- Provide Granting Programs.
- Knit caps for every newborn baby at Sechelt Hospital.
- Hold birthday parties for residents of Totem/Shorncliffe.
- Provide hair care services for Totem/Shorncliffe residents.
- Fund training for extended care staff and volunteers.
- Provide hanging baskets and bedding plants for Shorncliffe/Totem gardens.
- Make “worry dolls” for children in the hospital.
- Sponsor a program for junior volunteers where they have the opportunity to work alongside health care professionals, helping youth evaluate what it would be like to have a health care career.
- Send local junior volunteers to participate in BCAHA youth conferences.
- Provide bursaries every year for Grade 12 graduates who are entering a health care program. Memorial funds are often directed as bursaries for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-year students who are pursuing health care careers. Their junior volunteers are always considered when making bursary decisions.